Rules and penalties

Everyone takes part in road traffic, whether by car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle or as a pedestrian. It is essential that everyone adheres to established rules and shows consideration for other road users.

Driving license

If you want to drive a motor vehicle on public roads, you need a driving license to do so. The driving license is issued in certain classes. You must prove it with a driver’s license.

You must complete both the theoretical course and the practical course at a driving school. You must take a test in both areas. If you do not pass these tests, you can retake them after a reasonable period of time. This is possible after two weeks at the earliest. The number of repetitions is not limited.


Since 1. May 2014 the new driving suitability register comes into effect. It replaced the previous central traffic register (so-called. "traffic offender record") in flensburg as of. Only violations that have a direct impact on road safety are now recorded in the driving suitability register. Offenses that do not affect traffic safety are punishable only by a fine.

In the new driving aptitude register there are three categories of points:

  • 1 point is given for serious misdemeanors
  • 2 points are assigned for particularly serious offences, which are usually associated with a driving ban, and for criminal offences
  • 3 points are awarded for offences that have led to the revocation of your driving license

The system still provides for three levels of measures before:

  • Up to 3 points: registration in the driving suitability register
  • 4 to 5 points: the driving license authority sends a chargeable warning and informs about the first measure level. one point can be reduced by attending a voluntary driving aptitude seminar
  • 6 or 7 points: the second level of sanctions applies. With the chargeable warning, it is pointed out that when you reach the next level, your driving license will be revoked.
  • 8 points or more: revocation of driver’s license if warning and caution have been issued beforehand (third level of measures).

The driver’s license office in your place of residence is responsible for measures in the points system according to § 4 stvg. You can find the authority responsible for you, including contact details, on the BW administrative platform by entering your zip code.

Old points, which were acquired before 1. May 2014 are converted accordingly to the new system. You can obtain information about points previously entered from the service bw.

Detailed information about the driving suitability assessment system can be obtained from the federal ministry of transport.

Driving licenses for small trucks, vans and buses

On 28. Important changes to driving license law came into force on december 2016. These changes were prompted by EU infringement proceedings. The main changes are as follows:

  • The driving license categories C1 and C1E (small trucks) will be limited to five years and will only be extended after a health check. This applies to all new licenses issued after. December 2016 new driving licenses issued. For driving licenses issued between 1. January 1999 and 27. If new licenses are issued by December 2016, the time limit remains the same until the driver reaches the age of 50. age of majority. Holders of category 3 (old) driving licenses issued by 31. December 1998 enjoy the status of possession. These driving licenses remain valid for an unlimited period.
  • Vehicles used for the carriage of passengers with a maximum permissible mass of more than 3.500 kg require at least class D1 (small bus), even if only up to eight passenger seats are available. This also includes minibuses, civic buses and stretch limousines. Vehicles used by the police, fire department, rescue services, disaster control, armored limousines and motor homes are excluded from the new regulations. Even the pick-ups (flatbed trucks) used by many craft businesses may still be driven with class C1. The new regulations apply to all drivers who have been on the road since the age of 28. December 2016. For holders of a driver’s license up to the age of 27. Nothing changes for class C1 driving licenses issued on December 2016. Until now, class C1, C1E, C and CE motor vehicles with a maximum permissible mass of more than 3.500 kg even if they are designed and built to carry no more than eight people in addition to the driver of the vehicle. In the future, class D1 (small bus) will be required as a result of EU regulations.

The originally envisaged retroactive application of these amendments also applies to vehicles registered in the period between June 19, 2009 and December 31, 2009. January 2013 and the 27. December 2016 driving licenses issued no longer apply. However, since the regulations on the period of validity of categories C1 and C1E and on the demarcation between categories C1 and D1 have been in force since the 19th century, they are no longer applicable. If a vehicle does not comply with european law as of January 1, 2013, it cannot be ruled out that foreign authorities will raise objections when the vehicle is driven abroad.

If you have any questions, you can contact the driver’s license office responsible for your place of residence at the city or county office.

Road traffic regulations

The basic traffic regulations are laid down in the road traffic regulations (stvo). Here you will find, among other things, the regulations on how fast you are allowed to drive, which distances must be observed or which lighting is prescribed. There are also rules for pedestrians that must be observed. The road traffic regulations specify, for example, the obligation to use sidewalks, but also the cases in which pedestrians are exceptionally allowed to walk on the roadway.

In addition to the rights and obligations in road traffic, the stvo also contains prohibitions. All measures that could interfere with traffic are prohibited, as is excessive road use. Traffic, danger, regulation and direction signs are also illustrated and explained in the road traffic regulations.

The Road Traffic Regulations (stvo) are a legal ordinance issued by the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI). The road traffic authorities of the federal states are responsible for the implementation of the stvo – for example, the ordering of traffic signs or the issuing of an exemption permit.

As the supreme road traffic authority, the ministry of transport sets the framework for the approximately 150 road traffic authorities in Baden-Wurttemberg. The ministry’s mobile traffic safety commission advises local authorities and introduces new solutions to further improve traffic safety standards in the country and protect the residential population from noise and exhaust fumes.


Traffic regulations are intended to ensure that no one is obstructed, inconvenienced or even endangered. A key objective of penalizing traffic violations is road safety. The prosecution of traffic offenses is intended to encourage road users to comply with traffic regulations, in addition to providing appropriate information, training and road safety education, in order to prevent accidents and other road traffic hazards.

The fines are aimed at sanctioning the main causes of accidents, in particular

  • Inappropriate speed,
  • Dangerous overtaking,
  • Right of way violations, red light violations,
  • Too little distance.

Compulsory exchange of old driver’s licenses

Many drivers are still on the road with the old paper driver’s license, the so-called gray or pink "lappen". These documents lose their validity from 19.01.2022 gradual validity – staggered according to the year of birth of the data subject. The old license must therefore be replaced in good time with the currently valid EU-uniform card driving license. Holders of older driver’s licenses in credit card format are also affected by the exchange campaign.

What do I have to do now?

As a first step, you should check which driver’s license document you possess. If you need to exchange your driver’s license, you should check how long you have left to do so. Depending on the exchange period, you should take action no later than one year before the end of the exchange period that applies to you. For the exchange, you must submit an application to your driving license authority. This is usually located at the responsible district office, in the independent cities of baden-baden, freiburg, heidelberg, heilbronn, karlsruhe, mannheim, pforzheim, stuttgart and ulm at the town halls.

Which old driver’s licenses lose their validity and have to be exchanged??

All paper driver’s licenses the until 31.12.1998 have been issued. Even driver’s licenses in credit card format, the up to 18.01.2013 issued should be exchanged. After the exchange, they receive the new EU card driver’s license.

By when must old paper driver’s licenses be exchanged??

The exchange of old paper driver’s licenses, the up to and including 31.12.1998 issued will be staggered according to your date of birth (see table). After the expiry of the respective exchange period, your old driver’s license will lose its validity. All persons born between 1953 and 1958 should return their paper driver’s license by 19.01.2022 have exchanged. The other birth years will follow staggered over the next few years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *