Well hello there! This is tamil and today i wanted to go through vehicle drawings. It is a very complicated subject, so I will try to condense it as much as possible, but there will be much to learn in the future. Let’s start!
I just wanted to let you know beforehand: drawing vehicles is VERY difficult. I am telling you this because the drawings will look ugly, but that is ok. PRESS ON. Keep the learning perspective and learn more. The results will be there if you keep practicing! Here is my progress in art to give you some encouragement. This is in perspective about 6 months of heavy, heavy practice. This may take longer for you, but is still doable with practice!
Why is it hard to draw vehicles?? Well, there are a few reasons:
– it requires a lot of perspective knowledge. Our brains are trained to see perspectives every day. Every car, laptop or table is always in perfect perspective. Even small mistakes cause disturbances. perspective is less subjective than color or other artistic principles, so keep that in mind.
– perspective is technical. It is hard to "feel" it (z. B. Not like color or light). Learn the rules of 1-3 point perspectives to progress. I have also made a tutorial for this! Just read or watch the video to understand it. Keep researching if it still doesn’t click for you. I haven’t been able to do it for a long time either.
Suggestions for the beginning
First, don’t make scratchy lines. Drawing a car requires a lot of lines. So if they look messy, the whole drawing will be destroyed.
Even drawing a simple cube with many lines looks bad. Now you need to measure 20 cubes to make the vehicle? The more shapes there are, the harder it gets to understand them.
Second, you need to learn to draw boxes and cylinders from any perspective. It’s a deep topic, so please read the article I wrote before and let’s get to the basics.
This is a simple cube. You have to create a Y-shape (red). This is the front side of your cube. Then create lines that are almost parallel to the red, but converge at the vanishing point (orange). Try to change the Y-shape and see what results you get. Get any cube shaped object in your house and try to pull it out of life. This will help you to play with complicated perspectives. Watch my video for more real time demonstrations if you need more information.
after you have learned how to create a cube, you can start creating cylinders. The main idea is to create an X on the box. This helps you find the center and see where the circle should touch (red). It should be curved near the corners and touch the sides of the cube.
Do the same on the back of the cube. The center points should be aligned at a pretty good 90 degree angle like this.
In the video I also use the perspective tools in clip studio paint. That’s why it looks so perfect that I still have difficulties to create normal circles with the tablet or hands free.
The wider the circle, the larger the angle should be. The closer the circle, the narrower it should be.
This is a freehand cylinder I made. The left one is close to the audience, so it looks narrower. The end is different. I will link some resources at the end of the article to study more about this.
Yes, we need references, but not some that you could find. You will most likely find the new car that came out in 2010, but that will be a damaging experience for young artists drawing. The problem is that modern cars are in most cases very smooth and do not have pronounced angles. For this reason, we strongly recommend to look at older car pictures. They are more boxy and easier to disassemble.
What tools to use?
– use pencil and paper to begin. This will ensure that you prepare your lines before you draw them. You make fewer scratchy lines and see clearer defects.
– do not use tablets without a screen. I use one myself every day. I prefer normal tablets to screen tablets, but it is made for practice. It is more to paint. Even if you have a screen tablet, I recommend to start with paper and then slowly switch with screen tablet.
– clip studio paint rulers. watch the video or read the article i wrote about perspective. The use of rulers is good for learning. To see errors and check yourself. Do not rely on it to completely avoid the learning perspective. you need to know perspective to get the most out of it.
Check your proportions
Creating a 2D plane image to check the proportions helps me a lot. Use wheels to measure your car. The side view shows that the car is 3 wheels long. Once you have created your box, simply divide it by three and create wheels using the cylinder method. This will be very difficult and tedious, but so they would study the correct drawing of cars. I neglected it when I started, and I still need to relearn.
there are many exercises for this kind of drawing, but these are just a few.
– create a plane in any perspective and then follow the cylinder method. try to draw the circle in the plane and make sure it touches the sides and not the corners.
– create a rectangle and try to touch the corners while making good freehand circles.
– draw 2 points and try to draw a straight line to the other end. Make sure you prepare it and do not draw it immediately. Make several lines to see if you can repeat it many times.
please watch the video and read the perspective article. It took me 6 months to learn how to draw vehicles better, so it’s hard to condense the information into an article without writing a 6-page essay. Resources you can browse for more detailed information and further research:
– buy the book how to draw: drawing and sketching objects and environments from your imagination. It’s a killer book for drawing and learning perspective! I have learned so much. If you have a low budget, then:
– drawabox. It is a FREE drawing course that deals with the construction and creation of correct shapes. I’ve been working on this for 3 months and I’m still not done. It’s very intense and I would say better than 90% of the college courses I’ve taken at a school. If you are still confused, all your questions will be answered!
take on the grind and don’t forget to do art for yourself too. Please leave questions or suggestions in the youtube video.